Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sleepy Hollow Review (Spoiler Alert)

Last night I watched the premiere of Sleepy Hollow, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Throughout the pilot I likened the premise to shows like Supernatural and Castle, where Ichabod Crane, freshly awakened in the future after sleeping for over two hundred years, and a skeptic cop named Abbie Mills team up to solve supernatural mysteries in the town of Sleepy Hollow.

A lot of the charm of the show comes from the relationship between Ichabod and Abbie, as he's prone to make unintentionally rude comments such as, "Since when do women wear trousers," and, "You've been emancipated, I take it." More than the witches and demons and the yarn about the coming apocalypse, I found myself entertained by Tom Mison's portrayal of Ichabod as he adjusted to modern society yet maintained a calculative nature. He's more interested in the world and gadgets, asking about Starbucks across the street from one another and looking into a flashlight. I do hope this is a persistent aspect of the show, for Ichabod has more than two centuries of history, social changes, and technology to catch up on. There's a reverse Life on Mars feel to it, where Ichabod is thrust forward in time rather than back, and a lot can be explored as he comes to grips with the modern world that's so different from the one he left.

I thought Nicole Beharie was a good choice for the co-lead as well. The back and forth between Ichabod and her gave me a few laughs, even when they delivered lines that were full of cheese, and it's hard for a show that deals with headless killers and witches and the four horsemen of the apocalypse to not have cheesey or awkward lines, but the actors did enough for me to buy the premise and be entertained, including Orlando Jones, who plays a more serious role than I'm accustomed to seeing from him.

Neither is Sleepy Hollow on the level of shows like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, nor does it pretend to be. This is a show with action (a taste of what's to come was a quick showdown with a priest casting magic and the Headless Horseman sporting a shotgun) and a bit of mystery; it's sometimes dark, sometimes comedic. It's very much a show designed for pure entertainment, not introspection or a commentary on society, and if the viewer is looking for a faithful adaptation of Washington Irving's tale, this is not where to find it.

My one major complaint so far is that during the premiere they had two great actors, John Cho and Clancy Brown, that were killed off. There was little to no development with their characters, which means there was a brief window of mystery surrounding them, though I suspect Clancy Brown will be doing voiceovers throughout the series. It really irked me to have these characters introduced and killed by the Horseman almost right away. I feel as if it was a ploy to get people to watch the pilot by advertising a great cast, then having half that cast be nothing more than cameos. Of the six major characters shown in the first episode, half of them are gone--seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

All in all, the pilot was solid, and I'm a sucker for supernatural shows. While I could do with a little less of the cop show aspect, I look forward to new episodes and seeing where Sleepy Hollow takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment