Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Thor: The Dark World Trailer



Here's the first glimpse of the next Thor movie, and I'm a bit undecided about what I think. While I loved Anthony Hopkins as Odin and the scenes in Asgard during the first movie it didn't impress me when the action shifted to Earth/Midgar, and the trailer for The Dark World definitely appears to have several scenes in London, but I guess that's the only way to get Jane Foster, Natalie Portman's character and Thor's love interest, to other realms. Plus, I admit, Thor has a crush on Earth, and that's where he likes to hang out, so it's to be expected.

I have my fingers crossed, however, that majority of the film will take place in Asgard and Svartalfheim, one of the nine worlds of Asgard ruled by the Dark Elves. The major villain, as seen near the end of the trailer, is Malekith the Accursed, who is a sorcerer with faerie magic with the gift of changing the appearance of objects or people. One of his storylines was a partnership with Loki, and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie is based off that--after all, Loki is also in the trailer.

What worries me the most about this particular franchise is Jane Foster. It's easy for comic book movies to fall into the cliched damsel-in-distress pit and suddenly, not unlike Spider-Man or Superman, never be able to crawl out. The love triangles become the centerpiece, and there tends to be that yawn-moment when the villain kidnaps the damsel to lure the hero in for the kill...ultimately failing. I don't want to be bombarded with mush when paying to see Thor bash things with Mjolnir; I prefer not every superhero movie revolve around the hero saving his girlfriend.

In the trailer, Malekith is about to kill Jane. Despite liking Natalie Portman, I wouldn't be displeased if he went through with it. Though it would diverge from the source material, there's a much better story with Thor recovering from the inability to save his beloved, especially since bringing her to Asgard is what put her in jeopardy, than constantly swooping in to the rescue in predictable fashion.

Questions I hope the movie clears up are: how did Thor get back to Earth in the Avengers and why did he not see Jane while he was there? Did Odin forbid it? Has traveling between realms been outlawed? Has Jane been brought to Asgard to be a goddess?

I think it's time, even if it's brief, Thor puts on his helmet. Sif and he are the only ones without headgear in that battle, and it's silly.

It'll be a while until The Dark World hits theaters. There will probably be two or three more trailers, and maybe when I see more glimpses I can solidify my opinion, decide whether this installment will be worth viewing in a theater or if I'll wait for a rental, like I did with the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment