Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Wolverine Trailer

 
 
After seeing the international trailer for The Wolverine this morning, I'm definitely a lot more excited for this film than I was at first hearing about it. X-Men-related movies always make me nervous, because they can go drastically wrong. Case in point, The Last StandThe Wolverine, however, looks dark and serious, less hokey and riddled with cameos of a dozen mutants squeezed into one film, none of which receive character development while trying to one-up each other with corny jokes and five seconds of action.
 
While there are flashbacks in the trailer to World War II, the bulk of the movie will take place after the events of X-Men: The Last Stand, so I assume Logan will struggle with the events that took place, specifically, as we see in a glimpse, the loss of Jean Grey.

Will they bring her back? In the comics, the Phoenix Force is a cosmic entity capable of resurrecting Jean and making duplicates of her, not just an alter ego. With White and Dark Phoenixes and journeys through the afterlife, it can get complicated, so I'll just leave it at there's a chance she'll return to the franchise and mend the catastrophe that was the third movie--it will take a miracle to write out of the hole dug when Cyclops was killed. And they killed off Psylocke, one of my favorite X-men, in her .2 seconds of film time as a villain that didn't even get her powers right....as well as getting Morlocks and Juggernaut wrong. Where was Nightcrawler? Ugh, I hate that movie so much...
 
Anyway, in the trailer Wolverine loses his healing factor. I was somewhat reminded of Superman II, but I'm venturing a guess that the reason his powers are disrupted is because of the Muramasa Blade, forged so Logan could avenge the death of his wife. It can negate healing powers. Perhaps Silver Samurai got his hands on it? They show Wolverine being tested and experimented on by Viper, but if they took his power completely he'd die from having an adamantium skeleton; that would be a major plot hole.
 
The action looks solid. Wolverine verses ninjas: can't go wrong with that. I'm a little up in the air about the fight segments on the train, but that's not enough to deter me from seeing this film, and I have no doubt this will be a theater trip, for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment