Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Urge to Spoil

During season 2 of Game of Thrones, I read A Dance with Dragons, and there was something that happened near its end that absolutely enraged me. While I did not spoil that book in my rant on Facebook I disclosed a character that died in the first book/season, and within thirty seconds of posting my rant, I received a response from an irate friend for spoiling the show. Promptly, I took my post down and noted, which I have been correct about so far, this friend would never watch Game of Thrones to begin with, yet I have not lived my faux pas down; she, as well as her friends, remind me at the mere mention of the show in my presence.

There is always the urge to spoil a movie, book, or television show; a lot of the time, I find spoilers slip out during a discussion because of the excitement a person gets talking about something they love, which is why I do my best not to talk about Game of Thrones in front of anyone that hasn't read the books. I get amped once I start discussing it, for it's one of my favorite series and one of my favorite television shows, and I could prattle on for hours, if allowed. The one instance where my brother-in-law and his father pressed me, wouldn't stop asking questions I knew they didn't want the answers to, I caved. To their dissatisfaction, I disclosed the whereabouts of a character in the fifth book. They shouldn't have asked, right? I flatly repeated, "You really want to know?" giving them a chance to opt out.

To prepare myself to receive spoils when I hear a movie or TV show is to be adapted, I find its source material as soon as possible. I made the mistake of not doing this for The Walking Dead and received numerous spoils from the graphic novel crowd. Three episodes into the first season, I already knew where the third season would take place, who would be the adversary, and a handful of characters that would not be around. Years later, once I realized how much had been spoiled, I got the source material so it couldn't happen again.

It's disheartening to be on the receiving end of a spoiler. I cringe when I go on Youtube or Facebook and read a post where a person deliberately tells the fate of central characters in Game of Thrones. Worse than trolls, spoilers find enjoyment in stripping the mystery and magic of a show. They take away the tension of not knowing, and as a reader of the series, the tension is what turned pages late into the night; it was a thrill. That is why, unless it's like Game of Thrones where I already know the major twists, I avoid such sites.

I also do my best to alert readers of my blog to spoilers before they open a post. While I'm not perfect and sometimes slip, I work hard at keeping spoilers to myself. These days when someone mentions Game of Thrones  I attempt to stay quiet, answer vaguely, or, if I have to, leave the area. My dad the other night said, "I saw in a preview a bunch of characters are going to die this season," to which I responded, "Yep. Don't ask which ones, because you're never going to see it coming."

I think the biggest spoiler I ever received was during The Sixth Sense. Sitting next to a person that hid the fact he had seen the movie a week prior, he whispered his spoiler about twenty minutes after the opening credits. What he said was stuck in my mind the rest of the film, ruining it though he acted as if he had guessed. At first, I wasn't upset; I actually believed him. Then our group went out for coffee afterwards, ran into a friend from high school, who asked him, "You went to see it again?" I wanted to punch my friend in the face, and I wasn't the only one at the table with that thought.

So, anyone ever had something spoiled that devastated them? Or have you been the one to spoil?

5 comments:

  1. Like how you drunkenly "spoiled" Lost for me after saying you wouldn't - and I didn't even bring it up again.
    A main season plot point in Walking Dead was told to me by another drunk person this past weekend. It sucks hard the moment it happens but I am usually so far behind the times that by the time I get to reading or watching something I've forgotten.
    For better or for worse, the only movie franchise that I would close my eyes, plug my ears, and hum during it's trailers was the last two twilight movies. It wasn't worth it but perhaps doing it made it more interesting.
    Oh - have you made yourself watch Explorers yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I spoil Lost? I don't recall this conversation.

      Delete
  2. Your birthday. OC's. You were ranting about something else, then you said what you said about Lost, and then you swore, laughed and said you just ruined that after you had said you wouldn't. Then you tried to play it off like it was obvious and it was my own fault for not having figured it out despite never watching the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you're not bitter about it.

      Delete
    2. No, because I don't plan on watching Lost.

      Delete