Saturday, January 12, 2013

Looking Forward to A Good Day to Die Hard

 
 
Now that it's confirmed A Good Day to Die Hard, the fifth installment of the franchise, is rated R I can breath a sigh of relief and look forward to seeing this in the theater. After the debacle that was Live Free or Die Hard, I thought the days of John McClane busting heads and swearing up a storm were over. That's not to say R rating means a good movie, but it means a lot to a franchise with the most infamous line being, "Yippee ki-yay, motherfucker."
 
When McClane's daughter, Lucy, was brought in as a character, I figured they'd have to do at least one more movie introducing his son, Jack. The siblings were talked about in the originals but never shown, unless you include a quick glimpse of a photograph that Hans Gruber looks at in Holly's office, and I'm hoping A Good Day will pull off some original father and son moments. Though I'm not familiar with Jai Courtney's work, he does resemble Bruce Willis enough to pass as a son--it's a start.
 
Plus, this latest movie is going to take place in Moscow. It will be the first Die Hard not in America, which might help revitalize a formula that had become stale. In the trailer, I caught hints at a few things that make me worried: the seductive, murderous female, which is a villain type persistent since Die Hard with a Vengeance, combat with a helicopter (it gives me flashbacks to McClane taking one out with a car), and one-liners such as, "Me and my boy here are gonna put a whooping on you." I'm hoping that line is an edited version for the trailer...
 
I'd like this action franchise, one of the best, to go out on a high note, and this could be McClane's last appearance on the big screen; here's hoping it meets the standards of the original trilogy.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment