Thursday, December 6, 2012

Movie Quotes Used in Life

Warning: Contains strong language.

This morning I wrote on someone's Facebook, and for the next fifteen minutes my phone buzzed from responses while that person linked a slew of random songs and movie scenes. In response, I posted one of my all-time favorite quotes:

 
Side note: Bobby Cannavale, the actor that yells, "Cut the shit!" deserves an Emmy for his work on Boardwalk Empire; Gyp Rosetti was the highlight of a slow season that didn't pick up until the finale.

As I replayed the scene, laughing every time, I wound up thinking about people using movie quotes in real life. Usually, they're quotes from comedies. I don't know how many times I've heard, "You're my boy, blue!" screamed in public. Will Ferrell's movies are probably the most quoted, at least in my circle of friends, especially Step Brothers and Talladega Nights.

Throughout high school, one of my buddies was always saying, "I love redheads," and "That's what I love about these high school girls: I get older, they stay the same age," from Dazed and Confused. He also enjoyed a random, "All right. All right. All right."

When the Hangover was big, everyone ran around calling each other a, "Re-tard." I have friends that have incorporated the phrase, "Classic," into their vocabulary, just like Alan, and it can only be contributed to the movie, because the word usage was not there prior.

At a recent stag party, I found my friend--he's an avid Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas fan like myself--in charge of the raffle, accepting money and saying, "Take the ticket. Take the ticket." Later in the night, when cornered by a dull story, he interrupted with, "Tell me about those fucking golf shoes."

Via Facebook, I discovered someone had even been in trouble with the law over a movie quote. In response to not helping him with a robbery, though he knew the culprit, he made a status update that was reported to the police by one of his friends. The status update, taken from Tropic Thunder, was:



I succumb to quoting movies as well, finding it an interesting game to see if anyone can recognize them. When I first died in the Elegon fight in Mists of Pandaria, not realizing the floor vanished and dropped characters into a deep pit, I wrote, "We all float down here," which is a line from Stephen King's "It." One other player got it. Over the summer, I found myself quoting Due Date and telling a friend, who could barely stand up let alone light his cigarette, "You better check yourself before you wreck yourself."

These days, I'm hard-pressed to find someone that doesn't use movie quotes in daily conversation, gatherings, or online, especially if they're around my age or younger; I've even heard my uncles drop a few lines now and again, though it seems to be less common with older generations. I can't recall either of my parents quoting a movie, and I think that might be because they did not experience media and technology in the same way.

So, who out there has quotes they either enjoy to use or are sick of hearing? Are they any stories of quoting mishaps or people you know that have never used a quote?



1 comment:

  1. Nice call to action at the end there. Tommy Boy quotes were big for my circle in 8th/9th grade. But it was a song lyric that was taken for legit. I was talking to a mutual friend's boyfriend (now husband) for the first time on the phone while in college. He wanted to know something about the girl he just started dating. I replied, "she once got busy in a Burger King bathroom." He was unaware it was a line from Humpty Dance and believed it for years.

    ReplyDelete