Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Fall TV Picks

I always find it interesting to learn what TV shows my friends are watching and why, especially the ones they're addicted to, so I thought I'd share my Fall picks. These are the shows that sunk their hooks in me as of late, the ones I try to watch as soon as they air so no one can spoil what happens, and the ones, if I should miss them, I catch up on as soon as possible.

Castle - It's my lone show on Monday nights. It's also my only cop/crime-solving show. Every episode is as quirky as the characters, and Nathan Fillion cracks me up week after week. It's also one of the few shows, maybe the only show, I've ever seen where the unrequited love story is resolved and when it's resolved, I'm not bored out of my mind. The writers have definitely been on top of their game this season.

Dexter - While I lost all interest in this show an episode into season 3 it brought me back in a big way with John Lithgow's portrayal of the Trinity Killer in season 4. It hasn't let me go. This season has been amazing, picking up the exact moment Deb learned about Dexter's dark passenger. On top of that the writers have returned to a theme I've always enjoyed: Dexter's attraction to dangerous females...who happen to be easy on the eyes. I knew this season was going to be a good one with the introduction of Isaac, a ruthless mob boss, and an episode revolving around a murderer that dressed like a minotaur and chased women through his maze.

Fringe - Never a disappointment. When I read the final season was going to take place in the future I was apprehensive; I completely underestimated the storytelling and characters involved. Instead of freak-of-the-week episodes and a case to solve, there's just one story: taking the world back from the Observers. The characters are still evolving, literally, and as I learned last week, none of them are safe. Fox Network's lone jewel, Fringe is the best science fiction on TV. I'll be sad to see it end.

The Walking Dead - As if AMC listened to all its fans complaining about the borefest that was season 2, this show has surpassed every expectation I had. Only a handful of episodes in characters die and make choices in season finale-esque style. I've been on the edge of my seat since Rick and the gang entered the prison. In between the walker action there has been a few heart-wrenching scenes that stuck with me as a viewer as well; I couldn't ask for more.

Supernatural - Dean and Sam are finally back to the basics, traveling around in the Impala on cases. They're no longer running around trying to stop the end of the world, a persistent theme for years. Instead, the story is about Dean and Sam's lives as hunters, their relationship with each other, and their choices. The writers also made a brilliant move by putting the demons on the run this season as the sarcastic brothers try to keep hell's minions off earth forever. It's a nice change to what had become a predictable tale.

666 Park Avenue - The beginning of this show was shaky for me, and I wasn't sure how long I would last. Lately, the stories have picked up steam, are congruent, and overlapping, and the overall theme has taken shape. It took a few episodes, but the characters are no longer these flat, uninteresting cliches. Terry O'Quinn (you probably know him best as Locke from Lost) as Gavin Doran kept the show afloat when it appeared to be sinking, and now I'm glad I stuck with it. The Drake, a devilish apartment building that seems to have a mind of its own, reminds me a lot of Stephen King's Overlook Hotel/Room 1408. In fact, the show could easily be mistaken for something King would have written. While I won't go as far as to say this is one of the best shows on TV I will say it's doing enough to keep me returning, especially with the latest introductions of villains. It definitely has potential.

American Horror Story: Asylum - I didn't watch the first season in its entirety. I saw three episodes and gave up--it just didn't do it for me. However, on a whim, I decided to check out the premiere of Asylum, and I've been craving each episode. Something about mad scientists (James Cromwell is spectacular and disturbing as Dr. Arden) and insane asylums intrigues me, not to mention the alien abduction plot and whatever is living in the woods. Then there's Jessica Lange as the meanest nun I've ever seen. Somehow, she can also be erotic, and I'm not sure I want to dwell on why that is. In the end, can you really not love a show that maims Adam Levine in the opening sequence?

4 comments:

  1. I wondered why there is no any comment from these great posts that you have. By the way, I love dexter, fringe, supernatural and of course the walking dead. I was very hooked with these tv series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I often get paranoid that no one is commenting, so it's good too hear you enjoy my blog lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Castle and Supernatural never disappoint me. I've missed the last few seasons of Dexter so it looks like I'll have to catch up. I've also missed the last 1 or 2 seasons of Fringe but I jumped right into this season and love it. I watch The Walking Dead when it comes out on Netflix. 666 has grown on me as well. And I'm upset that I'm missing out on American Horror Story, both last season and this season. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete