Thursday, October 11, 2012

Two Shows I Already Hate

There are two shows I thought might be surprise hits or something I would enjoy, but unlike Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue that grew on me by the end of their premieres and have me looking forward to this week's episodes, Elementary and Revolution have been scratched off my list of shows to watch.

Somehow, Elementary manages to make Sherlock Holmes dull. I found myself flipping through magazines halfway through its premiere. The second episode I zoned in and out of daydreams, then played on my phone. I found nothing new and interesting in this rehash of the British version, Sherlock (I highly recommend that adaptation with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman if you have Netflix). In Elementary Johnny Lee Miller's Holmes is a flat character. A recovering addict, he's not even that mean or disinterested in other people; he's simply a know-it-all that spouts off thing after thing that inept officers around him missed. It's annoying rather than endearing. Apparently, CBS thought they could just throw any British actor into the role and it would succeed...

Elementary is also the same formula as Castle and The Mentalist, which both tout better casts, especially in terms of leads, and writers. Castle has turned into my favorite crime-solving show on TV. In fact, it's the only one I can sit through and one I never miss.

Though I believed Lucy Liu as a female Watson might be a clever change of pace, she brings nothing to the table. She might be the most boring Watson ever put on screen--zero personality. If you suffer from insomnia, check the show out.

And then there's Revolution. The lights go out. Civilization crumbles, and militias take over. We get doses of the fall of civilization in flashbacks similar to Lost, except, in this case, I could not care less about the characters, and the things that come out of their mouths are terrible, as if the writers are trying too hard to be hip and funny. If NBC wanted to punch up the scripts with wit or humor, they should have paid a few people from Parks and Rec for one-liners.

Revolution is a post-apocalyptic story where every cast member is spotless. Literally. They're all living without electricity yet they appear to be clean enough to host award shows. They're farming with plows, cattle, and hoes, yet there isn't a speck of dirt on them. Even the sets are off; buildings are covered in moss yet pristine beneath; the bars are filled with criminals and dark yet everything seems to be in the right place. There's too much order in what should be a chaotic, disheveled world. Again, it seems to be another case of trying too hard.

Did I mention there's a group of people that have had a way to bring the power on for twelve years? And they waited twelve years to do anything about it, carrying little devices around with them, building machines...sitting back on their haunches as they're hunted down?

J.J. Abrams has had some great ideas, written wonderful, creative stories, and been involved in some outstanding projects; unfortunately, Revolution is not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment